AMCostaRica©

Published Wednesday, August 7, 2019












                               AMCostaRica©
Cocal021518.gif

                              AMCostaRica©
Cielo111218.gif




...


When the Prosecutor's office gets all the documents of the case, the accusation will be presented to the Criminal Court where the parties will be on a preliminary hearing.  /  A.M. Costa Rica wire services photo.


Prosecutor's office concludes accusation against suspects of the homicide of a Mexican tourist
and the sexual attack of a British tourist



By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

The Prosecutor's Office of Cóbano* in the province of Puntarenas, announced it has completed the accusation process against two men, surnamed Esquivel-Cerdas and Sancho-Rodríguez. The men are accused of the murder of a Mexican woman surnamed Matus-Tenorio, and for the sexual abuse of a British woman surnamed Moorehouse.

According to the Public Ministry, the judge ordered the extension of the pre-trial prison period for four additional months for both suspects.

"The Prosecutor's Office will inform the victim's families of the accusatory piece (referring to the information of the case)," said the Prosecutor's office in its report.

From the moment they know about the process, they have three business days to respond. They are able to file a private accusation, and/or they can opt to take civil action to claim compensation for the damages suffered.

If family members decide to file a complaint or civil action, they will have an additional ten days to file the claim.

When the Prosecutor's office gets all the documents of the case, the accusation will be presented to the Criminal Court of 
Cóbano, in the province of Puntarenas, where the parties will be on a preliminary hearing.

After that, the criminal court of Puntarenas will order a date for the start of the trial.

According to the case presented by the prosecutor, the events occurred on August 5th, 2018, at 3:00 a.m., near a bar located in Carmen Beach* in Puntarenas.

That day the victims were intercepted by the suspects, who, according to the accusation, sexually abused them.

One of the women survived the attack and managed to flee the place to ask for help. However, when she came back with help, they found the other victim lifeless at the edge of the beach.

Hours later, one of the suspects surnamed Esquivel was captured near the place where the victim's body was found.

Four days later, the Prosecutor's office obtained evidence related to the second man surnamed named Sancho, that linked him to the homicide, for which he was arrested.

"At the request of the Office of the Prosecutor of 
Cóbano, Sancho had been treated by the Legal Medical Unit in Puntarenas, where he was analyzed for some injuries to his body," said Prosecutor in its statement. "In addition, a physical test was completed, (referring to the identification of the suspect) which resulted in a positive ID by two witnesses."

The case corresponds to cause 18-000344-832-PE.



---------------------------------------
Should the Prosecutor's office speed up the pre-trial process due to the severity of the accusations in the case?
We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com















Booking.com







   AMCostaRica©


















Want to write or gripe
about Costa Rica?

Want to submit an event
to our calendar?

Send all the information news@amcostarica.com

Profile pictures are welcome too !

-No defamatory pieces will be accepted.
-We reserve the right to publish.




AMCostaRica©