
In addition to the detention of the two men, the police seized 60 packages of cocaine, each weighing approximately one kilogram, two firearms, a loader with 13 ammunitions, $395 and 880 córdobas, Colombian currency in cash. / Drug Control Police courtesy photo.
|
Police detain two suspected of trafficking 60 kilos of cocaine in Guanacaste
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff
Wednesday, police officers of La Cruz* in the province of Guanacaste, arrested two men suspected of trafficking 60 kilos of cocaine.
According to the police report, during a routine patrol in Papaturro Beach* in Guanacaste, officers on duty randomly requested cars to stop. One car did not obey the order to stop and the driver made a risky maneuver to escape the police.
The officers proceeded to "alert other police units to find the car. It had been dumped near Papaturro Beach. There was a large bag inside the car," said the police in its report.
In coordination with the Drug Control Police and the Border Police, the car was opened. Found inside were two other large bags containing 60 packages of drugs and two firearms.
Police then, found two men who were identified by officers as the two occupants of the vehicle, one surnamed Bovadilla-Vials, 32-years-old and the second surnamed Duarte-Cajina, 26-years-old.
The second man, Duarte-Cajina has a criminal record for international drug trafficking, violation of the Migration Law and illicit trafficking of persons, said the police in its report.
In addition to the detention of the two men, the police seized 60 packages of cocaine, each weighing approximately one kilogram, two firearms, a loader with 13 ammunitions, $395 and 880 córdobas, Colombian currency in cash, police reported.
Both men were taken into custody by the Public Ministry where they were interviewed by authorities. They must remain in custody until a judge orders any pre-trial measures against them.
The nationality of the two suspects was not released by the police.
Related to the recent detention of suspects of drug trafficking, July 22 as A.M. Costa Rica reported, a judge ordered six months of pre-trial prison for three men, one a Costa Rican surnamed Vargas and two Colombians, one surnamed Reyes and the other Reñazco.
They are suspects of international drug trafficking.
According to the court record, the men are suspected of transporting 1.4 tons of marijuana and 44 kilograms of cocaine.
According to a report from the Ministry of Security, the arrests came during in a special operation involving the agents of the Border Police, the Air Surveillance Service, the National Coastguard Service, and the Drug Control Police.
According to the report, authorities from Colombia warned them about drugs on a boat that was spotted sailing near Golfito* in the south pacific coast in the maritime zone of the country.
The agents of the National Coastguard Service followed the boat causing the boat crew to change its route and run aground at Salsipuedes Beach in Golfito.
In addition to the arrest of the men, officers said they confiscated 57 bags that contained 2,703 packages of marijuana. 2,431 of the packages weighed half a kilogram and 272 packages were one kilo each. The total weight was 487 kilos and 50 grams of marijuana. The other 44 packages each contained a kilo of cocaine, agents said.
In addition to the drugs, the speedboat was also confiscated, as well as two 300-horsepower engines that were part of the boat.
---------------------- What should the government do to prevent the marine zone of the country from being used to transport drugs? We would like to know your thoughts
on this story. Send your comments to: news@amcostarica.com
|

|